News and Announcements
Coaches & players & friends …..
1/ The 2017 Annual Crosstown Awards night will be held Sat August 19th at the Cedar Cottage Pub.. players may want to order dinner or just drinks from 6 – 8;30 pm and then awards will follow at 8:30 – 10:00 pm and many, many door prizes will be given out all evening … all team awards & trophies & player t-shirts to be presented at 9:00ish.. an NHL signed hockey sweater, 2 or 3 Coors Light player ballbags & Molson’s travel bags, 2 Worth/Easton bats, a Wilson’s glove, jackets, Canadians & Whitecaps sports tickets, coolers, SPN & Coors Light sweatshirts & ball caps, dry-shirts all to go as door prizes… email email@example.com or call 604 874 7158 to reserve if over 10 players per team attending. There is no cost for your entry but the purchase of $5 or $10 in Crosstown door prize tickets. No ticket – no winner… all prizes must go Sat night …
All Crosstown teams placing 1st in their division in league play (Rec B, C1, C2, D1 & D2 ) & Playoff winners (Rec B, C1, C2 & D) will receive trophies & individual player awards…
Finalists in the playoffs in each of the 4 divisions Rec B, C1 & C2 & D will receive individual awards.
All prizes, trophies & t-shirts not picked up this night by winning teams will be distributed to local charities or recycled.
Please let us know if NO members of your team are able to attend IF prizes involved!
Note that you can still attend & order from their regular menu or just have beverages with your friends & fellow players as well ..
Coaches: Once again we are having our Annual Crosstown Recreational Tournament on the June 16-18th weekend at Gordon Park. It is a coed (6 & 4) fun tournament with prizes to the Champions & Finalists, Consolation winner & Most Fun Team… many MVP individual prizes ..rare to find a recreational in-town softball tournament … “every team entering gets better”
Tournament: the 2017 Crosstown Annual Ron Cooke Memorial Tournament will be on the June 16-18th weekend at Gordon Park (Victoria & 49th Ave)
• 5 games guaranteed; one game on Friday night, 2 on Saturday and at least 2 on Sunday. (Friday can be optional) .. but means Saturday starts early & 3 games
• all Crosstown rules, 6 & 4, any Crosstown players from any division may play on teams – just let Mike know as SPN needs to adjust their team files for that weekend for insurance purposes
• all games SPN umpired, cor .44 optic yellow Worth balls,
• Molson’s/SPN prizes – Champions & Finalists, Consolation Champs & Most Fun team – and only our league teams are first invited; this keeps it very recreational & anyone can win!
• 6 – 8 MVP male & female prizes, player ballbags, sweatshirts, hoodies, caps, travel bags, dry shirts, t-shirts
• Tournament fee is $350 per team, same as last 6 years
• Individual Molson’s prizes for Champions, Finalists & Consolation winners & for Most Fun team. . rain or shine .. a lotta fun. . washrooms,
• Teams in – Diamond Dancers, Life Savers, Pilots, the Big Dirty, Baseslide Tigers, Southvan Sluggers, Sick Bunts, Pitch Slap, Angry Pirates, Nightcaps
To all Crosstown players…
What & when: The Crosstown annual free clinic – Sat May 13th
Who: is for all players & coaches & is compulsory for all new teams & esp Rec C2 & D2 teams – at least 1 rep (player).
Where: Gordon Park, 49th Ave & 2 blks west of Victoria (@ David Thompson SS) , NE diamond … 12:00 sharp – 1:30 pm .. umbrellas if raining.. shall only cancel if heavy rain or lightning!
Why .. This is a free practical clinic for all levels & no gloves or equipment needed. A certified umpire will operate the clinic & players should feel comfortable afterwards about softball rules, play & expectations …. .
Players & coaches will learn:
• What umpires (VSUA) are looking for & their rulings
• The Crosstown & SPN softball playing rules: field dimensions, league rules, playing rules – infield fly, blood rule, subbing – AP rule, foul balls, encroachment etc
• What & where players should be – defensively & offensively; batting & fielding strategies, 1st base info, pitching
• What coaches need to know re: equipment – setting up, rules, insurance, alcohol, playing/lineup strategy, bats, balls, gloves, lineup/scorebooks
• Tweeking the online SPN registration & Crosstown web page – TeamPages – for online scores (mostly for coaches), schedules etc
This clinic should last about 1- 1 1/2 hours & also be a chance for coaches to pickup permits, contact sheets, etc
Apres- clinic – off to The Eastside Crafthouse (old EWALK Pub) for socializing & beverages
Thanks & all welcome
Crosstown Slo-Pitch League
Schedules are now on our web page under your division…. check for 18 league games. Our PERMIT is also in the “Documents” link /tab.
Teampages: Go to www.crosstownslopitch.ca .. our web hosted by Teampages … log in & go to your Division & then find your team .. all teams are now on Teampagesupdate players & coaches (2)
SPN: coaches should now be replying to emails from SPN … first thing is to delete all players not playing this year & change the main coach to “Team Contact” … just add /update all players participating this year … due & printed on June 1st / 2017
The next meeting of the Crosstown Slo-Pitch League will be on … we will be there from 7- 9pm & someone from every team needs to have someone there …
This will be a compulsory meeting for several reasons:
1/ Teams to fully pay league fees ( by April 30th – E- Interac, cash or check )
2/ Someone needs to pick-up game balls, permits & the SPN rule book (we do not want to carry game balls around for weeks)
3/ Paper copies will be available of the schedules, coaches contacts, etc Note: the schedule is usually posted a few days before this meeting … but may not be available till this meeting
We will update information on the league; on-line registration, fees, fields – new Burnaby field – Willingdon Heights, any increased costs, divisions, schedules, timelines, SPN on-line registration, insurance, umpires, singles lists, equipment, playing rules (flip-flop rule), July 1st wknd, bonds, web page with on-line team registrations, clinic, singles, tournaments, awards, GST, time-lines etc.
Rec A & B & C: weekdays begin week of May 8th. Playoffs will be Mon – Friday, July 31st to Aug 18th … depending on rain-outs. There are no long weekend games – including Friday, June 30th to Monday, July 3rd)
Rec B & C – teams should be prepared to play 2/3 Friday evenings … & we welcome teams wanting to play at Wesburn & Willingdon Heights Parks in Burnaby.
Rec D The regular season begins – Rec D – Sundays – May 7th Finals are Friday Aug 11th & Sunday August 13th.
Note we lose 3 long weekends this year. We will need to know asap if Rec D teams are NOT in the tournament as you will play the June 16-18th weekend.
Note: The tournament will be on June 16-18th weekend. The free players clinic will be on Sat May 13th. The annual awards night is on Sat August 19th.
Registration for the 2017 season will be on-line soon and all coaches of old teams & new interested teams will receive an email regarding our 1st meeting in mid-February . All should be the same as last year with excellent fields, SPN umps & rules, a web page, free clinic, & mid-June tournament. Fees should not increase this year.